The WVU Medicine Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) residency is a year-long, full-time program designed for students who wish to deepen their pastoral skills, examine their vocational commitment, and achieve competence in pastoral care ministry. The program follows the standards and guidelines of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE).
The CPE residency consists of:
- Designing and leading worship services when on-call on Sundays
- Participation in evaluations and educational seminars and conferences
- Providing pastoral and spiritual care to patients as assigned
- Sharing on-call duty with staff, interns, and peers
To be considered for admission to the CPE residency program, applicants must:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree.
- Be invited to participate in an admissions screening interview.
- Be ordained or commissioned to function in ministry by an appropriate religious authority as determined by the ACPE (preferred).
- Possess sufficient theological education to actively participate in discussions about theological concepts and ideas (seminary/theological education at the master’s level is preferred).
- Complete one prior CPE unit (completion of or current enrolment in CPE residency for second-year applicants).
- Complete the application for Clinical Pastoral Education.
- Submit all signed final evaluations (student’s and certified educator’s) with application.
- Non-refundable application fee – $35
- Non-refundable deposit at acceptance – $100
- Tuition – A $325 deposit is due the first day of each unit. Make checks payable to WVU Hospitals. Total tuition is $975.
- Annual stipend of $35,568
- Monthly $50 food allowance
- Group health insurance available on the first day of employment, including dental, vision, and long-term care coverage
- Twenty-three days of paid time off, plus seven paid holidays
- Free access to the WVU Medicine Wellness Center
- Monthly group spiritual direction provided by a Shalem Institute spiritual director
Clinical Pastoral Education ACPE, Inc. Annual Notice of Privacy Rights for CPE Students