WVU Medicine accepts many types of insurance, and the coverage varies depending on your insurance plan. We file claims with your insurance company based on the insurance information you provide. We encourage you to confirm that your insurance company makes timely payments on your behalf. For questions about your specific healthcare benefits, please contact your insurance company directly.
Hospital and provider fees
Please be aware that you will receive one consolidated bill, which includes charges for physician and hospital services. Please contact your insurance provider to confirm how your insurance plan covers hospital or physician charges.
With the following information, we hope to provide you with an understanding of our billing process. Click here to view a sample WVU Medicine bill.
Some WVU Medicine hospitals own and operate provider-based clinics. Based on regulations issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, “provider-based” refers to services administered in an outpatient clinic or location that is clinically and financially affiliated with a hospital.
The two separate charges from a provider-based clinic visit include:
One charge for the physician service and a separate charge by the hospital facility (as depicted in our patient portal, MyWVUChart). The hospital facility charge may consist of an office visit and/or ambulatory procedure which depends upon the reason for the visit and services provided by the physician.
Billing and collections process
Patients who do not provide insurance information prior to or at the time of service will receive a bill for services rendered. Once out-of-pocket expenses are determined, a billing statement is mailed to the guarantor on the account.
Insurance clarification or full payment is required within 30 days of the date of the statement. If payment is not received by the 120th day after the first statement, the bill is turned over to a collection agency. For complete details, review our billing and collections policy.
We offer zero interest payment plans and financial assistance (for those who qualify). If you are having difficulty paying your bill, contact a financial counselor at the numbers below.
- WVU Hospitals 304-598-6260
Includes: J. W. Ruby Memorial Hospital, WVU Medicine Children’s Hospital, Chestnut Ridge Center (Morgantown, WV), and Fairmont Medical Center (Fairmont, WV)
- Barnesville Hospital 740-425-5136
- Berkeley Medical Center 304-596-6836 / 304-596-6820
- Braxton County Memorial Hospital 304-750-2307
- Camden Clark Medical Center 304-424-2888 / 304-424-2882
- Harrison Community Hospital 740-942-6262
- Jackson General Hospital 304-373-1511
- Jefferson Medical Center 304-724-3551
- Potomac Valley Hospital 304-597-3527
- Reynolds Memorial Hospital 304-843-3361
- St. Joseph’s Hospital 304-460-7931
- Summersville Regional Medical Center 304-872-8418
- Uniontown Hospital 724-430-5763 / 724-430-5524
- United Hospital Center 681-342-1749
- Wetzel County Hospital 304-455-8012
- Wheeling Hospital 304-243-8874