The WVU Medicine Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) internship is a part-time, volunteer program open to seminarians, clergy seeking continuing education, and qualified laypersons. The Level I program follows the standards and guidelines of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE).
The CPE internship consists of:
- Providing pastoral and spiritual care to patients as assigned
- Class time, clinical time, and individual supervision on Mondays, 7:30 am – 4 pm
- Clinical work (total of 300 hours completed at either J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital, United Hospital Center, or Camden Clark Medical Center), including at least:
- Eight overnight on-calls
- Twenty-one to 25 8-hour clinical shifts
- Participation in evaluations and educational seminars and conferences
To be considered for admission to the CPE Level I internship program, applicants must:
- Be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
- Be invited to participate in an admissions screening interview. Proxy interviews with a qualified ACPE Certified Educator will be considered for internships.
- Complete the application for Clinical Pastoral Education.
- Submit a check or money order for $35, payable to WVU Hospitals.
Mail completed documents to:
WVU Medicine Spiritual Care and Education
PO Box 8008
Morgantown, WV 26506
Note: Ordination by a faith community or commission to function in ministry by an appropriate religious authority is preferable for admission.
- Non-refundable application fee – $35
- Non-refundable deposit at acceptance – $100
- Tuition – A $450 deposit is due the first day of the program. Make checks payable to WVU Hospitals.