WVU Medicine interventional radiologists specialize in using advanced imaging to guide medical instruments through the blood vessels and deliver therapy at the source of the problem. Procedures are performed through small incisions with catheters and wires that are about the size of a piece of spaghetti, preserving surrounding tissue and avoiding a large, open incision.
Interventional radiology techniques have fewer complications than open surgery and are often performed on an outpatient basis. Patients experience less bleeding, reduced pain, and a quicker recovery.
Conditions We Treat
WVU Medicine interventional radiologists are board-certified physicians who specialize in treating diseases and conditions affecting the organs, spine, urinary systems, and more. Diseases and conditions we treat include:
- Kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Lung cancer
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Uterine fibroids
- Renal hypertension
- Fractured vertebrae
- Varicocele (enlarged veins in the scrotum)
- Chronic venous insufficiency (leg vein valves prevent blood flow to the heart)
- Deep vein thrombosis (a blood clot in a vein deep in the body)
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Pulmonary embolism (sudden blockage of a lung artery)
- Varicose veins
Evaluation and Treatment
WVU Medicine interventional radiologists have extensive training in the diagnosis and treatment of vascular diseases and work with other specialists to determine the best treatment for each individual patient. Our minimally invasive techniques make it easier to examine and treat your medical condition. Diagnosis methods could include procedures, like angiography to look for blockage and narrowing of the arteries using x-ray imaging or needle biopsy to take a tissue sample and provide diagnosis without surgery.
WVU Medicine provides a variety of interventional radiology treatment methods for many medical conditions, including:
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Yttrium-90 radioembolization
- Ovarian vein embolization
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Nephrostomy tube placement
- Renal artery angioplasty and stenting
- Renal radiofrequency ablation
- Ureteral stenting
- Varicocele embolization
- Ambulatory phlebectomy
- Angioplasty and stenting
- Balloon angioplasty/stent
- Endovenous laser treatment
- IVC filter placement/retrieval
- Laser and radiofrequency ablation
- PAD treatment
To refer a patient for interventional radiology services, please complete this form, and fax it to 304-598-4996.
8 am – 3 pm
On the map, click on the icon to display all locations.
Click on a location for details.
Once you select a location, click the directions icon. Google maps opens and allows you to enter your address for door-to-door directions.
Click the view larger map icon to open directly to Google maps.