Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (also referred to as urogynecology) is a specialized area of women’s healthcare that treats disorders of the female pelvic floor.
The pelvic floor includes the muscles, ligaments, connective tissue, and nerves that help support and control the uterus, vagina, bladder, and rectum. Pelvic floor dysfunction can lead to a variety of conditions and symptoms that can have either neurological or structural causes.
Many women find it difficult or embarrassing to discuss these symptoms with their care providers. It is important for women to understand that while conditions resulting from pelvic floor dysfunction are common, conditions such as urinary leakage and pain with sexual intercourse are not just “part of getting older.” Our pelvic medicine specialists are trained to identify the various causes of these and other symptoms, and offer many noninvasive and surgical treatments that improve each patient’s quality of life.
Conditions we treat
- Overactive bladder, including urinary urgency and leakage
- Incomplete bladder emptying or inability to urinate
- Stress incontinence that occurs with laughing, coughing, and sneezing
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Fecal incontinence, or stool leakage
- Pelvic organ prolapse (fullness or bulging)
- Female sexual dysfunction, including painful intercourse and lack of desire
- Pelvic pain (due to endometriosis, bladder infection, chronic pain syndromes)
- Complications of previous surgeries, such as transvaginal mesh erosion and eroded bladder slings
- Developmental variations requiring corrective surgery
- Chronic pelvic pain caused by nerve damage
A pelvic medicine specialist will help you understand your condition, assure that you are fully aware of the available treatment options, and help you select a treatment that matches your comfort level.
Your first visit
Your examination is similar to a routine gynecological exam. During your first visit, you will have the chance to discuss your condition and treatment options.
Your consultation will be with our experienced pelvic medicine specialist who specializes in treating women with urinary and bowel incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. While you are at the office, you may have diagnostic tests using our state-of-the-art medical technologies.
If you are referred by a physician, we maintain communication with your doctor throughout your evaluation and treatment.
Obstetrics and Gynecology – University Town Centre
Address6040 University Town Centre Drive Morgantown, WV 26501
Obstetrics and Gynecology – Bridgeport
Address527 Medical Park Drive Bridgeport, WV 26330
Obstetrics and Gynecology – Fairmont Gateway Clinic
Address100 Stoney Road Fairmont, WV 26554
Obstetrics and Gynecology – Uniontown, Pa.
Address211 Easy Street Uniontown, PA 15401
Obstetrics and Gynecology – Waynesburg, Pa.
Address451 Murtha Drive Waynesburg, PA 15370