Finding Wellness is a new, free healthy lifestyle program for people who are ready to improve their personal health. This eight-week program is led by health professionals and open to anyone in the community. Eight-week classes meet virtually on WebEx and at WVU Medicine University Town Centre from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday evenings.
Are you ready to make lifestyle changes in nutrition and eating patterns and increase physical activity in your daily life? The Finding Wellness program can help with personal goal setting and group support.
Finding Wellness classes begin in March and provide a range of healthy eating, fitness, goal-setting, and stress management techniques. Enrollment is now open for both in-person and virtual classes — email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304-293-2604. Participants will be asked to provide their name, height, weight, date of birth, and have their A1C checked at the beginning and end of the series.
Eight-week classes will be held on:
- October 12 – December 7
Finding Wellness class topics include:
- Cooking Demo — Learn how easy and delicious healthy cooking can be and taste test multiple new foods.
- Finding Fitness — Link physical and mental benefits of exercises, and practice a variety of movement.
- Making S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Goals — Assess your motivation level and identify positive/negative influences on your success.
- Menu Planning — Learn meal planning strategies and add/substitute healthier foods.
- Mindful Eating — Recognize what mindless eating looks and feels like, and identify emotional, environmental, and physical triggers.
- Portion Distortion — Learn how to understand food labels, and recognize common pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- Stress Management — Recognize stress and unhealthy coping habits and learn ways to quiet the mind.
- Supermarket Safari — Acquire skills to shop healthier by comparing labels and prices.
Keeping Wellness Support Group
After your classes have ended, Finding Wellness offers a support group led by Gwen Emery, MD. Keeping Wellness classes connect former Finding Wellness participants with one another, help them maintain goals, allow them to talk about challenges, and recharge their commitment to healthy lifestyles. Keeping Wellness classes will meet on the following Tuesdays from 5 – 6 pm at the University Town Centre on:
- September 21
- October 26
- November 16