Why should you choose WVU Medicine Camden Clark for your pharmacy residency?
Thank you for your interest in pursuing pharmacy residency training at WVU Medicine Camden Clark Medical Center (CCMC), a member hospital within the WVU Medicine system.
At CCMC we recognize the value and importance of residency training for individuals seeking careers specializing in pharmacist care. The residency training program at CCMC is committed to preparing residents to practice in an evolving healthcare environment. Our residency program offers you a variety of experiences designed to build your clinical knowledge base and allow you to grow into an independent practitioner. The flexibility of our program will allow you to enhance your practice and communication skills while meeting your own professional goals. Our preceptors are dedicated to the growth and success of each resident.
Each resident will foster skills to become an integral member of the multi-disciplinary healthcare team, an educator of healthcare professionals and patients, a researcher, and a leader in pharmacy practice and medication safety. The resident will exhibit a commitment to the profession by conducting their daily practice with a distinguished level of maturity and leadership. Residents completing this program will be highly qualified independent providers of pharmaceutical care with developed skills and abilities making them extremely marketable within their profession.
We believe the residency training program offered by CCMC will prove to be exciting, fulfilling, and most importantly career enhancing. We look forward to the opportunity to meet with you and discuss our program further.
Allison Lawrence, PharmD
Pharmacy Resident Program Director
Medication Safety Officer
Interested in residency life at WVU Medicine Camden Clark?
Watch these videos of our Internal Medicine Residency Program to get an idea of what we’re all about.
Camden Clark Medical Center (CCMC), located in Parkersburg, West Virginia is a full service, freestanding community hospital providing primary, secondary and selective tertiary services including Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and an array of specialties.
CCMC serves 10 counties located along the Ohio River and Mid-Ohio Valley of West Virginia and Southeast Ohio, and over the past decade has helped to build the Mid-Ohio Valley Rural Health Alliance, a respected regional health network.
CCMC has grown significantly over the years resulting in the addition of a 174,000 square foot South Tower pushing it to the 3rd largest hospital by patient volume in the WVU Medicine system. Key components of the new addition include a new 18 bed critical care unit, 18 bed step down unit, 11 operating rooms, a post anesthesia recovery unit, 5 minor/endoscopy rooms, and a same day processing/preadmission testing center.
The combination of our interest and commitment to teaching, along with the location, lifestyle and patient volume, make Camden Clark Memorial Hospital an optimal place to live and complete your resident training. Parkersburg is family oriented, with abundant recreational opportunities. Its school system is among the best in the state and it is located within easy driving distance of Columbus, OH, Pittsburgh, PA and Charleston, WV.
Camden Clark is the 3rd largest hospital by patient volume in the WVU Medicine System. We have a total of 302 licensed beds with approximately 13,645 total admissions.
Camden Clark Medical Center is a modern, full-service facility. To benefit our patients and to accommodate the efforts of our highly-skilled medical and supportive staff, our medical campus is fully equipped to provide excellent care.
Facilities at the Memorial Campus:
- Total Beds: 302
- Licensed beds: 302
- Operational Beds: 302
- Occupancy: 67%
- Admissions: See Below
- Level III Trauma Center: 27 beds, 3 minor-care beds
- Critical Care Unit: 18 beds
- Advanced Care: 18 beds
- Telemetry Unit: 44 beds
- Behavioral Health Unit
- Community Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Rehabilitation Center
- Ambulatory Infusion Center
- Diabetes Wellness Center
Some statistics from Camden-Clark include:
- Total Admissions – 13,645
- Total Births – 1,483
- Total Admissions minus Births – 12,162
- Total Emergency Visits – 53,992
We are seeking two highly motivated PGY1 residents who would like to contribute to the establishment and legacy of our new PGY1 Program.
Our PGY1 program is designed and structured to integrate residents into the pharmacy and healthcare team, allowing residents to utilize their didactic and practical experiences to develop expert knowledge in clinical patient care, medication use systems, and administrative areas of pharmacy practice. With a variety of available learning experiences including critical care, infectious disease, medical oncology, and transitions of care, our residents will have the ability to complete required experiences and choose elective experiences that speak to their personal interests.
Additionally, residents have the opportunity to mentor pharmacy students and to complete a Teaching Certificate Program offered in conjunction with the West Virginia University School of Pharmacy.
Consistent with the values of CCMC, the Department of Pharmacy places a priority on our patients, our team, and our community.
The Pharmacy Department at CCMC
The department provides a number of clinical pharmacy services including participation in patient care rounding, renal drug dosing, and therapeutic drug monitoring. The pharmacy recognizes the importance of technology and has a fully implemented physician order entry system, automated medication dispensing systems, and robot dispensing technology.
The pharmacy is responsible for providing pharmacist care to all of CCMC. The department consists of pharmacists, as well as technical and support personnel who work together to assure patients receive the highest quality pharmacist care possible.
What is the application process?
Applications are accepted exclusively through The ASHP Resident Matching Program, administered by National Matching Services Inc. and PhORCAS (Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service) until January 10, 2022.
Camden Clark Medical Center
800 Garfield Avenue
Parkersburg, WV 26101
Main: (304) 424-2111
Allison Lawrence, PharmD
800 Garfield Ave.
Parkersburg, WV 26101-5340
Fax: (304) 424-2916
Pharmacy Clinical Manager
Allen Sexton, PharmD, BCPS
800 Garfield Ave
Parkersburg, WV 26101
Phone: (304) 424-7871
Director of Pharmacy
Chris Childress, PharmD, BCIDP
800 Garfield Ave
Parkersburg, WV 26101
Phone: (304) 424-2671
Fax: (304) 424-2916
ABOUT THE MID-OHIO VALLEY
Parkersburg, West Virginia is perfectly situated in the mid-Ohio Valley region, with Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Columbus, Ohio and, of course, Charleston, West Virginia just a scenic drive away. You’ll be close enough to the big cities for a day-trip, and close enough to get back home before homesickness sets in.
Camden Clark serves a population of nearly 140,000, making it one of the busiest hospitals in the region.
Parkersburg is family-oriented with a sense of community that is unlike anywhere else. Residents of the Mid-Ohio Valley participate in charitable organizations at a higher rate than anywhere in the country, and the school system is the finest in the state. Everyone who lives here knows the secret; there just isn’t a better place to raise a family! The cost of living in the Mid-Ohio-Valley is significantly lower than in other major markets, which is sure to position you to achieve other goals.
For recreation, West Virginia’s place as one of the top adventure destinations in the country can’t be beat. The state boasts world-class whitewater rafting, rock climbing, mountain biking, hiking – you name it. Some of the best mountain biking in the east can be found right in our backyard at Mountwood Park.
If you’re looking for a slower pace for your family, the North Bend Rail Trail starts in Parkersburg and covers 70 uninterrupted miles. More traditional activities are also quite popular. Locally, golf is king, but there are too many other activities to mention them all.
- Blennerhassett Island State Park: Restored revolutionary-era mansion and European-style estate, accessible by a ride on a traditional sternwheeler.
- Campus Martius Museum: Artifacts and stores from the first settlement in the Northwest Territory. This Marietta, Ohio, museum also houses one of the earliest homesites in the area.
- Hotel Blennerhassett: Restored Victorian era hotel & restaurant. Centerpiece of Parkersburg’s downtown district with authentic guest rooms as well as gourmet cuisine. Host to conventions and special celebrations year-round.
- Julia-Ann Square Historic District: Homes restored to turn-of-the century grandeur.
- Mountwood Park: Lake, mountain bike & hiking trails, picnic areas and more. Host to annual mountain bike races & triathlon and nationally rated as a mountain biking destination
- North Bend State Park/Rail Trail: 72-mile hiking/biking/horseback trail connecting historic towns and cities important in the region’s development as a center of the oil and gas industry. This park is also home to a 300-acre lake, camping, cabins, lodge, restaurant & nature trails open to both hiking and mountain biking.
- Parkersburg Art Center: Traveling and permanent exhibits, educational programs, and community events.
- Parkersburg City Park: Fishing pond, mini-golf, picnic areas, walking trails, swimming pool and host to annual Multi-Cultural Festival, holiday celebrations, fairs & festivals, and other community events.
- Historic Smoot Theatre: National touring shows and locally produced performances in a restored Vaudeville-era theatre.
- Grand Central Mall: home to more than 70 stores including electronics, jewelry, housewares and more.
Recommended Hotel Information (Get the CCMC corporate rate!!):
- The Blennerhassett Hotel: .0.2 miles / 320 Market St, Parkersburg, WV 26101 / (304) 422-3131
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott: .0.2 miles / 415 7th Street, Parkersburg, WV 26101 / (304) 485-4485
- Hampton Inn & Suites: 4 miles / 920 Emerson Ave, Parkersburg, WV 26101 / (304) 428-0555
- Comfort Inn and Suites: 4 miles / 401 37th St, Parkersburg, WV 26101 / (304) 424-5300
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites / 7 miles / 10057 Emerson Ave Parkersburg, WV 26101 / (304) 916-7380
Where to Eat while in town:
Parkersburg offers a wide variety of restaurants from Outback steakhouse, Olive garden and the like, however some of the local favorites are as follows:
- Lui Lui – $$$
- Columbos Italian Restaurant – $$$
- Parkersburg Brewing Company – $$
- Fusion Japanese Steakhouse – $$$$
- Ruby’s Italian – $$
- Mango’s Latin Bistro – $$
- Cham’s Lebanese – $$
- CJ’s Italian Restaurant – $$$