Listed below are the top 10 most commonly asked questions and responses as put together by our residents:
1. Why did you choose Wheeling Hospital?
Chose Wheeling Hospital because of the strengths of its inpatient and outpatient curriculum and the ability to learn full spectrum FM in an unopposed environment.
2. What is your favorite thing about the program?
Helpful faculty and staff that facilitate a health atmosphere to grown as a physician.
3. Do you feel confident in your training so far?
At first as an intern I did not, but I have grown over the years and feel absolutely more confident heading in to my final year of training.
4. What do you want to do after residency?
I feel as if I have the option to do inpatient, outpatient or full spectrum inpatient/outpatient given my training.
5. What is a weakness of the hospital/program that you think can improve?
Certainly availability of sub-specialists, however, I feel that is improving with all of the new hires through Wheeling Hospital’s recent affiliation with WVU Medicine.
6. What is it like to live/cost of living in Wheeling, WV?
Very affordable country living with availability to commute to a bigger city if needed. I feel very safe living here.
7. Favorite places to go in Wheeling/things to do?
Wheeling has a lot of hiking trails, parks and outdoor activities at your fingertips. I also like the proximity to Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus if I ever wanted a more city feel during my time off.
8. What is it like to raise a family here?
Very affordable and available daycares around the area that are reputable. Both public and private schooling available.
9. Do people get into fellowships from your program?
Yes, we have an integrated ER Fellowship at the hospital that is one of the strongest in the country. We also have had residents that matched into Geriatrics, Sports Medicine and Sleep Medicine.
10. Do you feel like you get enough time off for a work/life balance?
Yes, but like any residency it depends on what rotation you are on. I feel like I have had lots of time off on rotations that were not as demanding.
Additional questions for residents can be emailed to: AskAResident@wheelinghospital.org