The Wheeling Hospital Family Medicine Residency is accredited by the ACGME (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education) which has granted the program the highest level of accreditation through 2025. The program was granted Osteopathic Recognition by the ACGME’s Osteopathic Principles Committee.
To apply to the Family Medicine Residency Program you must:
- Be a graduate of medical school in the U.S. or Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Be a graduate of college of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Be a graduate of medical school outside the U.S. or Canada with a current, valid certificate from the ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) or with a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a U.S. licensing jurisdiction in which you are training.
- Be a graduate of a medical school outside the U.S. who has completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Be a graduate from medical school within five years.
- USMLE/COMLEX Step 1 and Step 2: passing board scores.
- Number of attempts: No more than two failures total between Step 1 and Step 2. Step 2 CS/PE must be passed on first attempt.
We offer J1 visa.
The program only accepts applications submitted electronically through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). A complete application consists of:
- My ERAS application
- ECFMG status report if applicable
- USMLE/COMLEX transcript including Step 1, Step 2 CK or CE, and Step 2 CS or PE
- Medical School Transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
Variety of Electives
Some of the electives available in the Family Medicine Residency are: Cast application, critical care, endocrinology, geriatrics, hematology, infectious disease, nephrology, obstetrics, office gynecology, orthopedics, outpatient surgery, pulmonary medicine, plastic surgery, procedures, psychiatry, sports medicine and urology.