Our program offers a competitive benefit package designed to assist residents and their families during the training period. It equals or exceeds those in our region.
- First year: $55,080
- Second year: $57,080
- Third year: $60,080
- Provided while on call through the hospital cafeteria. A meal allowance of $2,080 is included in the salary. This is equivalent to one meal five days a week.
- PGY-1: up to three days, $600
- PGY-2: up to five days, $1,000
- PGY-3: up to five days, $1,000, plus $500 for board review
- one day for board exam
Cost of the following courses: CPR, ACLS, PALS, ALSO, NRP
Book allowance of $200 per year
USMLE/COMLEX Step 3 Exam
- Must be taken during PGY-1, if passed during PGY-1 we will reimburse the cost of the exam. Additional educational leave up to two days will be provided for the actual exam days.
Professional Liability Insurance
- Various plans are available for resident and family. The intern/resident shares in the premium for Health insurance, with the hospital paying a significant portion.
- Other benefits include dental, vision reimbursement, life insurance, disability, paid time off, employee assistance program, credit union, voluntary 403(b) retirement plan and other discounts.
Program Transition Allowance
Incoming residents are granted an allowance of $5,000 to facilitate the transition from student to resident.
Paid Time Off:
- PGY-1: 12 days
- PGY-2: 17 days
- PGY-3: 17 days
(Paid time off is administered according to the regulations of the ACGME)
- A night float system is utilized. Upper level residents are required to participate in Family Medicine Supervisory Call as a part of the educational program. Sleeping quarters are available within the hospital for use while on call.
- AAFP or AOA/ACOFP
- $1,800 per year
- Two lab coats for each resident per academic year.
- West Virginia medical license fee.
- Six holidays each year including New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Moonlighting opportunities are available within the Wheeling Hospital system with program director approval for second and third year residents.
- Membership at the Howard Long Wellness Center.
- Housing in the local area is very affordable and includes a variety of options from apartments and condos to single-family homes. The hospital offers a limited number of houses adjacent to the hospital campus for rent based on their availability.
Flexibility in the residency curriculum design allows five months of electives over the course of the program. The program also offers obstetrical experience through the OB-Gyn team.