Purpose: To recruit future family medicine physicians who wish to continue their training at the WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital Family Medicine (FM) Residency Program and provide them with the tools to eventually practice in a rural/underserved area in either primary care or a family medicine subspecialty.
Who is eligible?
Eligible are students in good standing who are enrolled in the MS3 year of a West Virginia medical school (Marshall, WVSOM and WVU). The student also will be committed to early integration into the WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital FM Residency Program in Wheeling, WV. Students should have a sincere interest in practicing in West Virginia in a rural/underserved area upon completion or residency (and fellowship if applicable).
What are the benefits?
- Students will participate in a rural health curriculum during the MS4 year and transition into the rural health track during residency.
- Students will receive a $10,000 stipend approved through the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, Special Grants Division. Pending successful completion of medical school, students are guaranteed a position in the WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital FM Program in Wheeling, WV. The FM Rural Scholars Program residency position is approved by the National Resident Matching Program for a position outside the match, through an approved exception to the All In Policy (pending required renewal process).
- Students will save an estimated $8,000 to $10,000 in travel and accommodation costs associated with the residency interview process.
The requirements of the FM Rural Scholars Program are:
- Complete a Sub-I MS4 FM rotation at WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital.
- Complete a critical care requirement in Intensive Care during residency at WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital.
- Complete a pediatric general wards 2-week required rotation with NICU/PICU introduction at WVU Children’s in Morgantown during residency at WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital.
- Complete Community Medicine and ER requirements during residency at WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital.
- Completion of a research, QI, scholarly project during residency at WVU Medicine Wheeling Hospital.
- Enrollment into the Rural Track of the WVU Medicine Residency.
What is the application process?
- The application deadline is April 1, during the MS3 year of a West Virginia Medical School.
- Students should contact E. Robert Marks, MD, FAAFP, if interested in applying.