Welcome to WVU Medicine! We look forward to having you and helping you provide the best possible learning experiences for your students. Please read through the orientation guide below for more details on how to orient yourself as an instructor at our facilities.
PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE REGUARLY FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE VERSIONS OF ONBOARDING AND ORIENTATION MATERIALS. THE DATES ON SUBMITTED MATERIALS MUST MATCH THE DATES DURING WHICH THE STUDENT/INSTRUCTOR WILL BE ON-SITE.
Instructor Guide for Orienting to BMC or JMC (school faculty):
If you will be on-site at BMC and/or JMC, please read the following information carefully, as it outlines our orientation process for external instructors (employed by the school). However, this orientation is not applicable to MD, DO, PA, or NP instructors; please contact Student Services of the WVU School of Medicine Eastern Division for more information.
PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE VERSIONS OF ONBOARDING AND ORIENTATION MATERIALS. THE DATES ON SUBMITTED MATERIALS MUST MATCH THE DATES DURING WHICH THE STUDENT/INSTRUCTOR WILL BE ON-SITE.
The process for requesting clinical experiences and ensuring an affiliation agreement (AA) is in place should take place as far in advance of your requested start date as possible. Please coordinate with your program to see that these items are completed (the School Information page).
Complete the following requirements:
- If also coordinating student orientation, visit the School Information
- Read the Student Affiliation Code of Conduct.
- Read the Annual Mandatory Education Manual.
- Take the Annual Mandatory Education Test and PRINT RESULTS PAGE – 100% required.
- Submit the following to your school for verification (do not submit directly to the hospital):
- . Printed results/score page for Annual Mandatory Education Test, showing identifying information and final score (100% required every academic year – at first orientation and by every Fall thereafter for new academic year). New test released every April for following academic year.
- Documentation of current and proper:
- Immunization per CDC recommendations for healthcare workers (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/rec-vac/hcw.html) related to: MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Hepatitis B, Varicella (Chickenpox), and Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis)
- Influenza vaccine during flu season (required annually)
- PPD or chest x-ray with negative result (within previous 12 months); chest x-ray only required for positive PPD
- Criminal Background Check
- For Clinical Students/Instructors: AHA HCP BLS CPR Certification – Current
- For Clinical Instructors Only: Current WV license confirmed and all other requirements above
- Signature Form Packet (every academic year – new forms released each April for following academic year)
Follow instructions provided on the School Information page to obtain any additional accesses as deemed necessary.
Schedule an in-person, unit-specific orientation in advance of your first clinical day. Orient according to the following checklist: Faculty Unit Orientation Checklist. Contact information for the unit designee can be obtained from the BMC/JMC Student Affiliation Coordinator; please submit completed checklist to BMC/JMC Student Affiliation Coordinator as well.
Once you have received confirmation that you are cleared for clinical, the next step is to obtain a hospital-issued photo ID Badge (available to instructors only). We must be in receipt of all documentation before the badge can be issued; see step-by-step instructions within the linked materials in step #2. It is required that you wear both your school and hospital-issued badges while on campus in your capacity as an instructor; if you are an employee with WVU Medicine, you cannot wear your employee badge while operating as an instructor.
When your experience is complete, please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BYZ7D6B and fill out our Student Affiliation Survey, as we strive to provide the best possible resources and support throughout your journey!