Welcome to WVU Medicine! We look forward to having you here as a student and hope that you have a positive educational experience. If you will be on-site at BMC and/or JMC, please read the following information carefully, as it outlines our student orientation process. This includes any internships, externships, clinical rotations, observations, practicum, and/or capstone experiences.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This orientation is not applicable to MD, DO, PA, or NP/DNP students. If you are an NP/DNP student seeking placement, please fill out this NP/DNP Practicum Request Form, follow the directions on the form as to how it should be submitted, and await further instruction to be sent via email. Otherwise, please contact Student Services of the WVU School of Medicine Eastern Division for more information.
PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE REGUARLY FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE VERSIONS OF ONBOARDING AND ORIENTATION MATERIALS. THE DATES ON SUBMITTED MATERIALS MUST MATCH THE DATES DURING WHICH THE STUDENT/INSTRUCTOR WILL BE ON-SITE.
Student Guide for Orienting to BMC or JMC:
The process for requesting clinical experiences varies according to type:
- For rotations, observations, and/or capstone experiences ONLY (i.e. local programs sending groups of students): school will request; students in these groups are not to place requests independently.
- All other internship, externship, and practicum placements (including non-NP graduate nursing programs) are the responsibility of the student and/or school to obtain. However, please ask your school to communicate all arrangements to the BMC/JMC Student Affiliation Coordinator for proper onboarding to take place prior to arrival.
An academic affiliation agreement (AA) must exist between our hospitals and the specific program at your institution prior to any clinical/non-clinical experience. Particularly if you are coming individually from a program that does not regularly send students, see that an AA exists and does not expire prior to the end of your scheduled experience. Contact your institution for more information.
*Note: This process can take months, so start early if an AA is not in place or is due to expire.
- Read the Student Affiliation Code of Conduct.
- Read the Annual Mandatory Education Manual.
- Take the Annual Mandatory Education Test and PRINT RESULTS PAGE – 100% required.
- Submit the following to your school for verification (do not submit directly to the hospital):
- Printed results/score page for Annual Mandatory Education Test, showing identifying information and final score (100% required every calendar year)
- Documentation of current and proper:
- Immunization per CDC recommendations for healthcare workers (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/rec-vac/hcw.html) related to: MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Hepatitis B, Varicella (Chickenpox), and Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis)
- Influenza vaccine during flu season (required annually)
- PPD or chest x-ray with negative result (within previous 12 months); chest x-ray only required for positive PPD
- Criminal Background Check
- For Clinical Students/Instructors: AHA HCP BLS CPR Certification – Current
- For Clinical Instructors Only: Current WV license confirmed and all other requirements above
- Signature Form Packet (every semester)
Once you have received confirmation that you are cleared for clinical, obtain a student ID badge according to instructions provided by your school. It is required that you wear both your school and hospital-issued badges while on campus in your capacity as a student. Review further ID Badge guidelines within the linked materials in step #3.
When your student experience is complete, please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BYZ7D6B and fill out our Student Affiliation Survey, as we strive to provide the best possible resources and support throughout your journey!