Wetzel County Hospital has provided quality healthcare to our community since 1920. We continue to achieve high levels of patient satisfaction and increase our innovative services.
Your healthcare needs change and Wetzel County Hospital is changing with you. We are adding services, recruiting expert physicians, and expanding our facility to meet your needs.
Our Joint Commission accreditation powerfully demonstrates our commitment to meet the highest national standards for quality and safety.
Wetzel County Hospital and a training school for nurses were established in 1920. A group of New Martinsville men applied to West Virginia Secretary of State, Houston G. Young, for a certificate of incorporation to operate the new hospital.
Among those who helped establish Wetzel County Hospital include: C.W. Founds, J.O. Eakin, J.C. Freelich, A. D. Thurber, C.T. Gorby, G. Snodgrass, G.M. Wood, R.F. White, R.E. Bartlett, A.E. McCaskey, I.D. Morgan, N.N. Oblinger, A.C. Thomas, D. Fisher, C.H. Fitzwater, and S.C. Jones.
The charter was approved by Secretary of State Young on April 9, 1920, and the first hospital business meeting took place a few days later. Appointments to the hospital board were made, and the first board members included: D. Fisher, S.C. Jones, C.T. McMond, G.M. Wood, J. Stender, P.D. Morris, J.O. Eakin, W.J. Williamson, J.C. Freelich, C.M. Founds, J. Schupbach, A. Thomas, F. Clark, C.H. Wright, J.D. Morgan, H. Koontz, N. Oblinger, J.E. Bartlett, and H.N. Brouse.
In 1936, Wetzel County Hospital was moved to its second location where the original unit consisted of operating and emergency facilities, a 25-bed capacity, and eight bassinets. Physicians practicing at Wetzel County Hospital in 1936 included: Drs. F.E. Martin, J.O. Theiss, J.M. Hornbrook, L.P. Stanley, J.W. Pyles, T.B. Gordon, E.C. Blum, and J.S. Schmeid.
In 1952, the hospital was enlarged with a two-story addition, additional bed capacity to 55 beds, nursery bassinets increased to 12, and basement facilities were added. Local industry and government funds through the Hill-Burton Act financed the hospital improvements.
In the late 1950s, it was discovered at a meeting of the State Board of Health that funds had been granted to a hospital in another West Virginia city, and Wetzel County Hospital was unable to comply with the necessary qualifications for acceptance. Senator Ted Bowers contacted the Wetzel County Hospital Board and with their approval, asked that funds be channeled to the local hospital. These dollars were appropriated and matched by the generous community of New Martinsville and surrounding area. Money was also donated by the Ford Foundation.
In 1960, Wetzel County Hospital expanded again to 81 beds and adding many needed features, including bringing central oxygen to most of the beds. In the 1970s, planning for a replacement hospital began. The current Wetzel County Hospital facilities, located at 3 East Benjamin Drive, were completed on May 23, 1979. Since the dedication of the facility, services, such as nuclear medicine, ultrasound, CT scanning, respite care, cardiac rehabilitation, and others, have been added.
In January 1988, a campaign entitled “Partners For Life, The Campaign For Wetzel County Hospital” was initiated with nearly $600,000 pledged. The money raised allowed for the construction of a helipad, purchase of a new CT Scanner, and new ultrasound and mammography equipment.
Additional hospital improvements include:
1990 – New lobby
1992 – Homecare opened
1995 – TCU opened (Hospital became licensed 68 beds)
1998 – In-house physical therapy
1999 – New CT and mobile MRI services
1999 – Added medical services including obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine, pediatrics, and family medicine