United Hospital Center’s billing department will file your medical insurance claim. If you are not covered by insurance, arrangements for the payment of the bill should be made with the Customer Assistance Department. Each patient is ultimately responsible for payment of all services rendered. If you would like an itemized statement, please contact the Customer Assistance Department and one will be mailed to you.
You will receive a separate bill each time you visit the hospital. This means that you may have several open accounts at one time. We encourage you to contact a patient account representative and request that accounts be combined into one account. This will simplify the payment and record keeping of your account.
Certain fees, such as those charged by the physician who interpreted your x-ray, EEG, or Holter Monitor; administered anesthesia during surgery; or conducted EMGs or stress tests, are not included in your hospital bill. This also includes services provided by emergency medicine physicians, radiation oncologists, and hospitalists. You will receive separate statements from the physician for these services as well as separate statements from your personal physicians and/or consulting physician.
If you have any questions concerning your bill, please call 681-342-3100. You should contact the organizations listed if you have questions concerning fees from your anesthesiologist, emergency department physician, and radiologist or radiation oncologist.
Patient Account Representative
For your convenience, the Patient Account Representative’s office is located in the hospital’s front lobby. You or a family member are welcome to visit the office to obtain information on insurance coverage or any other questions you may have concerning the payment of your bill.
- University Health Associates Department of Emergency Medicine 1-800-541-4009
- Radiation Oncologist Patient Accounts 681-342-1824
- Radiological Physician Associates 1-866-338-6463
- UHC Anesthesia Services 1-888-505-2455
- United Hospitalist Physicians 681-342-1852
Pay your bill online
- Easy to use – Just complete the simple form and your payment work is done.
- Fast and easy – Your card is processed within one business day and you receive a receipt by e-mail.
- Safe and private – We protect your credit card number so it can’t be seen by anyone, ever!
- Secure, fast and convenient credit/debit card payments when time is running short.
Financial Assistance Policy
United Hospital Center is committed to the provision of healthcare services to all patients regardless of race, sex or the ability to pay. In addition, the ability to pay will not influence the provision of appropriate healthcare services. However, the patient is ultimately responsible for the resolution of his or her account. This may include providing accurate information to the hospital, assisting in the coordination of insured benefits, and providing information requested from the UHC Business Office.
No collection efforts of any kind will occur when patients present to our Emergency Room until AFTER services have been provided.
United Hospital Center acknowledges that there are patients who do not possess the ability to pay for emergent or medically necessary services. The following guidelines have been established to provide financial assistance those patients.
Who is eligible for Financial Assistance?
A patient who resides in West Virginia is eligible for 100% financial assistance if he/she:
- Has received or is scheduled to receive emergency or medically necessary care
- Has a household income less than twice the federal poverty limit
- Does not have substantial assets
- Has applied for and has been denied Medicaid coverage
- Is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States (foreign students are not eligible)
Patients outside of these guidelines may also be considered on an exception basis.
How do I apply for Financial Assistance?
If you feel that you may meet the listed requirements, an application may be obtained from the following sources:
- Click for Financial Assistance Application
- By visiting the Customer Assistance Office in the main lobby of UHC between 8:00am and 4:30pm, Monday – Friday or by calling 681-342-3100 between 9:00am and 4:30pm, Monday – Friday
- In the admissions area or the registration area of the Emergency Department of United Hospital Center from any UHC Registration Associate
Please complete all sections of the application form and assemble all required documentation prior to submitting your application. If you need help completing your application, please contact Customer Assistance at 681-342-3100 or visit the Customer Assistance Office at UHC during the operating hours listed above.
Completed applications can be mailed to United Hospital Center, 327 Medical Park Drive, Bridgeport WV 26330 or delivered to our Customer Assistance Office at UHC.
What is covered under Financial Assistance?
All emergency and medically necessary care is covered. Once you are approved, you are covered for 6 months.
What is not covered under Financial Assistance?
Not all services are covered under Financial Assistance. The following services are excluded:
- Elective or cosmetic services
- Accounts related to services incurred due to and payable by General Liability, motor vehicle or worker’s compensation insurance
- Accounts that have a viable payer source, such as the patient’s insurance that will process for payment but the claim is pending upon receipt of information from the patient
- Services not considered medically necessary by your insurance
Where can I obtain a copy of your Financial Assistance Policy?
Our full Financial Assistance Policy is available:
- Click Here For Financial Assistance Policy
- Via mail by calling Customer Service at 681-342-3100
- For pick-up in the Central Registration area, the registration area in the Emergency Department or in our Customer Service Assistance office in the main lobby of UHC.
What if I do not qualify for financial assistance or cannot meet the guidelines above?
If you are unable to qualify for 100% assistance as outlined above, you will still be eligible for discounted care. If you are uninsured, you will not be charged more than 50% of our current billed charges for your hospital bill. This discount ensures that you are not charged more than amounts generally billed for patients covered under Medicare and other private health insurers.
If you have insurance, other discounts may still be available as well. Please contact our Customer Assistance Representatives at 681-342-3100 for more information.