How does a rehabilitation program earn a reputation of excellence? Equipment, location, accessibility: all of these are certainly critical to the achievement of a patient’s goals.
But at Wheeling Hospital, another component that adds to the excellent services in the fields of physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy includes the caring professionals who are leaders in their fields. This is evidenced by the number of therapists who have doctorate degrees in their field of expertise; by the amount of continuing education they obtain in specialty areas of practice; by their services to the community in special projects important to the area; and by participation in the education of students to fill future needs.
However, it is the therapists’ commitment to working with patients and their families to achieve mutually determined goals to maximize independence in whatever setting the patient may be returning that really sets Wheeling Hospital’s rehabilitation programs apart.
Rehabilitation at Wheeling Hospital serves people of all ages, and treats movement problems from any system, such as neurologic or musculoskeletal. Wheeling Hospital is able to meet all rehabilitation needs in a caring, professional and committed environment.
Wheeling Hospital Physical Therapy provides inpatient and outpatient care for injury, illness, or disability to improve a patient’s quality of life and independence. Our highly-trained and licensed physical therapists and physical therapist assistants provide evaluation and treatment for a variety of pediatric and adult conditions.
Conditions We Treat
- Balance and dizziness
- Concussion: ImPACT testing and concussion treatment
- Difficulty walking
- Muscle weakness
- Neck and back injuries
- Neurological injuries and illnesses: stroke, head injury, neurological diseases
- Orthopedic conditions – bone, muscle, and joint injuries
- Post-surgical care
- Sports injuries: selective functional movement assessment
- Total joint replacement
- Worker’s compensation injuries: work conditioning and functional capacity evaluations
- Women’s health conditions: incontinence and pelvic floor pain/dysfunction, pre-natal, post-partum
Treatments and Services
We work closely with your medical provider to develop a plan of care to meet your movement goals. Depending upon your condition, your provider and therapist may recommend a range of treatment options using the latest technology and treatment protocols.
We have several locations in Ohio and West Virginia for your convenience.
The largest hand therapy facility of its kind in West Virginia. With nationally certified hand therapists, lymphedema and NDT therapists, we use state-of-the-art equipment and maintain a highly qualified staff that takes a holistic approach to therapy. The therapists are experts in treating any injury or condition of the hand and arm, and are committed to working with our patients regarding their concerns about loss of work or loss of function in daily activities, sports and leisure activities.
The therapists provide hands-on treatment at every session, using specialized manual techniques, individualized exercise programs, and functional activities.
The goal is to help restore patients’ maximum ability so they can resume a normal and productive lifestyle.
Our office staff provide assistance with insurance authorization and will answer any questions about referrals or insurance coverage.
We offer many specialized programs:
- Arthritis program
- Fibromyalgia program
- Lymphedema program
- Post COVID-9 program
- Strength after breast cancer program
- Wrist pain and stability program
Some of the common treatments for these and other injuries or conditions include:
- ADLs retraining with the use of adaptive equipment, as needed
- Edema and swelling management
- Ergonomics and safety training
- Exercises for range of motion and strength
- Family/caregiver education
- Functional transfers
- Iontophoresis (anti-inflammatory)
- Manual lymph drainage and complete decongestive therapy
- Nerve mobilization exercises
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Scar management
- Splinting to stretch, immobilize, protect, and increase function
- Our therapists make custom splints for any need, in our fully equipped splint room.
- Sports simulation
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Work simulation
- Workstation setup
The Hand Rehabilitation Center and Outpatient Occupational Therapy
1 Medical Park
Tower 4 Suite 201
Wheeling, WV 26003
Outpatient Speech Therapy
Our speech-language pathologists evaluate and provide therapy services for adults with speech, language, cognitive, swallowing and voice disorders.
- Communication disorders
- Dysphagia (swallowing disorders)
- Memory loss
- Neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease
- Speech disorders
- Stroke recovery
- Voice disorders
Outpatient Speech Therapy
42 Hodges Drive
Wheeling, WV 26003
Outpatient Pediatric Rehabilitation
Wheeling and Martins Ferry Sites
We offer and provide services to children birth – 21 years of age who need occupational, physical and/or speech therapy. Our team provides comprehensive evaluations and evidence based interventions to meet the needs of your child. For your convenience, we have two offices, one in Wheeling, West Virginia and one Martins Ferry, Ohio.
Available Therapy Services
Occupational therapy focuses on the development of age appropriate independence in daily life skills, fine motor coordination and integration of sensory information.
- Behavioral feeding disorders
- Fine motor delay
- Sensory processing difficulties
- Visual/perceptual disorder
Physical therapy focuses on the development of age appropriate skills related to gross motor coordination, strength, joint movement and endurance.
- Gross motor development delays
- Impaired coordination and/or balance skills
- Neuromotor problems
- Orthopedic conditions
- Toe walking
Speech and Language Therapy
Speech and language therapy focuses on the development of communication and language skills needed for successful social, academic and functional communication.
- Articulation, phonology and apraxia
- Language and auditory processing disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Voice and fluency disorders
Comprehensive Autism Evaluations
Autism evaluations ae completed aby a team of therapists and a pediatric psychiatrist. Our testing includes:
- Autism specific evaluations
- Developmental testing
- Family/medical interview
- Medical evaluation