The program specialists will provide consultations for women with complex medical and/or obstetrical complications before, during, and after pregnancy. They also can co-manage or transfer prenatal care.
The program serves more than 20 hospitals in the region with outreach obstetrical consultation services. The Wheeling schedule includes in-person consultations and telemedicine visits.
"We are delighted to extend our services to the Wheeling area to ensure that all women and babies of West Virginia and the region have the highest level of care,’’ Annelee Boyle, MD, medical director of the WVU Medicine Children’s Maternal Infant Care Center and Maternal-Fetal Medicine, said.
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists are physicians who have advanced knowledge and training in medical, surgical, obstetrical, fetal, and genetic complications of pregnancy and their effects on both the mother and baby.
“The ability to keep complex patient care at a local level and manage that care with highly talented physicians from WVU Medicine is a true asset to patients in our community,” Wheeling Hospital CEO Douglass Harrison said.
The services provided by the Maternal-Fetal Medicine program address:
- Medical disorders
- Hypertension and preeclampsia
- Heart disease
- Cancer or history of cancer
- Rheumatological and immune diseases
- Kidney disease
- Pregnancy complications
- Twins and other multiple gestations
- Preterm labor or previous preterm delivery
- Fetal growth restriction
- Fetal anomalies
- Placental abnormalities
- Pregnancy diagnostic services and procedures
- Detailed and/or targeted pregnancy and fetal ultrasonography
- Fetal blood sampling and transfusion
- Fetal shunt placement
- Genetics counseling
- Preconception counseling
- Genetic screening and cunseling
- Advanced maternal age
- Counseling of patients with ultrasound or testing abnormalities
In addition to Dr. Boyle, program providers include:
- Leo Brancazio, MD – Chair, WVU Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Elizabeth Cohen, MSW, LICSW
- Kelly Cummings, MD
- Julie Dell’orso, FNP-BC, AP, MSN
- Catherine Herway, MD
- William Holls, MD
- Casey Street, FNP-BC, APRN
- Megan Varvoutis, MD
- Megan Vincent, APRN, FNP-BC
- Megan Yoho, CGC
The maternal-fetal medicine team will schedule initial consultations or first appointments by referral. For more information, call 855-WVU-CARE (988-2273), toll free.