The March exercise tip of the month comes from Kayla VanKirk, MS, exercise specialist-
10 ways to help keep your New Year’s Fitness Resolution Goals
- Be realistic – Be sure to set goals that are reachable. Setting goals for 6 months and 12 months is a good way to make sure the goals that you have in mind are realistic and doable.
- Plan ahead – Plan your workouts before heading to the gym to ensure you have a plan and don’t waste time. If you go into the gym without a plan, you are more likely to talk yourself out of the workout or leaving early.
- Outline your plan – Decide how you are going to deal with temptations to skip workouts or eat a bad meal. Rely on a family member or friend to help hold you accountable. Exercising is much easier and more fun when you have someone you can talk to.
- Make a pro and con list – Make a pro and con list as to why you want/should become more physically active and fit. Refer back to this list often as a motivator.
- Talk about it – Tell other friends/family/people for more support of your healthier lifestyle. Lots of other people, especially at the gym, are going through the same process.
- Reward yourself – Once meeting small goals, or even bi-weekly goals, don’t be afraid to reward yourself. This doesn’t have to be food related or contradict your new year’s resolutions, but something that brings you joy or happiness. Just something that will keep you motivated to meet your next goal.
- Track your progress – Keep track of all your small successes you have achieved. Try keeping a food or workout journal to track your heating habits and progress. This will help you stay on track.
- Don’t beat yourself up – Don’t over obsess about the occasional slip. This won’t help you meet your goals, only discourage. Do the best you can each day and take one day at a time.
- Stick to it – It takes 21 days for a new activity to form a habit and 6 months for it to become part of your personality. Just be patient and keep going, even if you aren’t seeing the results you are expecting right away. It will happen!
- Keep trying – If you have already fallen off the band wagon on your fitness goals for the new year, no worries. You can still re-commit yourself. If you have problems staying motivated or not sure what to do for exercise, feel free to ask any of our fitness specialists and they can design a workout specifically for you!