Skin resurfacing encompasses a variety of non-surgical treatments aimed at renewing and revitalizing skin with minimum downtime.
Skin resurfacing treatments help restore a younger complexion by removing the most damaged outer layers of skin to uncover healthier skin and encourage new skin growth.
Some skin resurfacing techniques include:
- Chemical peels
- Laser skin resurfacing
Chemical peels involve an acid solution applied to the skin surface that removes the outer layers of skin. For several days after treatment the skin layers peel away, revealing a smoother, younger-looking complexion.
Chemical peels can:
- Brighten complexion
- Eliminate skin growths or precancerous skin
- Lessen or eliminate age spots, blotchiness, or discoloration
- Minimize or remove acne scars
- Smooth fine lines and wrinkles on the skin’s surface
- Tone and tighten skin
Depending on the treatment, the peel is classified as light, medium, or deep. The class refers to the layers of skin removed. Deep peels penetrate further into the skin. They are recommended for advanced aging, severe acne scars, or sun damage.
Dermabrasion is a powerful treatment that reaches deep into the skin surface. Either a wire brush and or a rapidly rotating burr removes skin from treated area layer by layer. Dermabrasion can affect skin pigmentation is not recommended for every skin type.
The procedure involves removal of skin layers to stimulate new skin growth. The procedure is flexible and used to:
- Smooth skin appearance
- Minimize vertical lip lines
- Reduce lines and wrinkles
- Remove acne scars or slightly tight and skin imperfections
Microdermabrasion is another exfoliation technique that uses an instrument to remove damaged skin layers to uncover smoother, younger looking skin. Microdermabrasion can be used on the face, neck, hands, or body and is safe for all skin types. The procedure involves few side effects and no recovery time.
The procedure can:
- Revitalize skin
- Reduce mild acne scars or age spots
- Minimize fine lines and wrinkles
Laser skin resurfacing
Laser resurfacing uses concentrated beams of light to repair skin tone, texture, and appearance. Laser resurfacing treatments are lasting, but results are not immediate. This process takes months for new skin and collagen production to mature, but the results are worth the wait.
Laser skin resurfacing improves skin by:
- Tightening and stimulating collagen production
- Reducing fine lines and wrinkles
- Reducing redness discoloration or brown spots
- Removing acne scars
- Removing unwanted facial or body hair