If you have a family member or friend that is in significant need of hospitalization due to a risk of harm to him/herself or others, you have the option of filing a petition for commitment. If the Mental Hygiene Commissioner grants a hearing, the person filing the petition will be contacted and will appear as a witness at the hearing.

If the person being filed on is deemed committable, the person will receive inpatient mental health services until they are documented to be stable and safe as determined by a psychiatrist’s evaluation. Documentation for filing a petition can be obtained through your local Emergency Room or by contacting the Mental Hygiene Commissioner, or Northwood Health System 304-234-3500.

Behavioral Health Unit Phone Numbers