The clinical pharmacists and certified pharmacy technicians at Jefferson Medical Center’s Pharmacy serve patients of all ages throughout their hospital stay. The pharmacy team ensures that each patient receives the safest and optimized treatment regimen. Comfortable, quality care is our priority.
The expert team at Jefferson Medical Center’s Pharmacy provides the following services to patients in the facility:
- The prospective review of all non-emergent medication orders to ensure safety and appropriateness. This includes screening for drug-drug interactions, therapeutic duplications, allergies, and appropriateness of dosage for age and renal function.
- The dispensing of medications and IV solutions to all inpatients, emergency room patients, outpatient surgery patients, and patients undergoing procedures while on the hospital campus. Our use of an automated dispensing system, to provide rapid access to medications, while including screening of drug orders by the pharmacist.
- Round with the inpatient physicians and medical team to ensure better medication therapy management for patients.
- Ensure barcoding of all medications to limit the risk of medication errors.
- Provide education, medication reconciliation, and discharge counseling to patients to ensure they know essential information about their medications and that their home and hospital regimens are accurate.
Additionally, the pharmacy at Jefferson Medical Center provides:
- An ASHP Accredited PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency in conjunction with Harpers Ferry Family Medicine to provide in depth training and advancement for pharmacists.
- Educational rotation for students from the West Virginia University School of Pharmacy in their final year of school.
- A pharmacokinetic dosing service is designed to provide accurate dosing of medications with narrow therapeutic ranges. Pharmacokinetics is the mathematical explanation of drug movement within the body, including absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion.
- An antimicrobial stewardship program to ensure that these important medications are being best utilized both now and for the future.
- Drug utilization review studies to investigate medication practices at JMC.
- Drug information the patients, the nursing, and medical staff.
- Support for the Pharmacy and Therapeutics committee to help manage the hospital formulary. The formulary is a list of drugs available at the hospital, based on efficacy, safety, and cost.