We are committed to providing the highest quality of care at West Virginia University Hospitals. If you have an unsatisfactory experience, please let us know. You can call the patient advocate at 304-598-4167, the nurse manager on your unit, or the hospital administrator at 304-598-4200.

If the hospital does not respond to your complaint to your satisfaction, or if you are unhappy for another reason, you may contact:

Office of Health Facility Licensure and Certification
(to report violations and to request an inspection of the facility)
WV Department of Health and Human Resources

408 Leon Sullivan Way
Charleston, WV 25301

Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
WV Department of Health and Human Resources

408 Leon Sullivan Way
Charleston, WV 25301
304-558-3498 (fax)

Protective Services (Child and Adult)
WV Department of Health and Human Resources

350 Capitol St., Room 730
Charleston, WV 25301

Abuse Hotline (child and adult)

West Virginia Advocates, Inc.
1207 Quarrier St.
Suite 400
Charleston, WV 25301

State Ombudsman
c/o West Virginia Commission on Aging

Charleston Towne Center Mall
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305

Ombudsman c/o Legal Aid of WV
922 Quarrier St., 4th Floor
Charleston, WV 25301
800-834-0598 or

WV Legal Services Plan (local representative)
165 Scott Ave, Suite 209
Morgantown, WV 26508

Medicare Quality Improvement Organization (QIO)
(for concerns about the quality of care received under the Medicaid Program)
West Virginia Medical Institute

3001 Chesterfield Avenue
Charleston, WV 25304-1100

Joint Commission
E-mail: complaint@jointcommission.org
Fax: 630-792-5636
Mail: Office of Quality and Patient Safety
The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181