The Trauma Services team at Berkeley Medical Center provides expert care for critically injured patients in one of the state’s three Level III Trauma Centers.
Our dedicated staff provides 24/7 emergency services to ensure patients receive high quality specialized care when they need it most.
Treatments and Services
When the unexpected happens, every second counts. The Trauma Services team at Berkeley Medical Center is always prepared to treat injured patients in one of our readily available operating suites and adjacent 20 bed Intensive Care Unit.
- Interventional Radiology
- Oral Maxillofacial Trauma Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
Level III Trauma Center
Berkeley Medical Center is nationally verified by the American College of Surgeons, Committee on Trauma, as a Level III Trauma Center. It is one of only three State designated Level III Trauma Centers in West Virginia.
As a Level III Trauma Center, Berkeley Medical Center has demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients and emergency operations.
To be classified as a Level III Trauma Center, Berkeley Medical Center:
- Offers 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians and the prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists
- Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program
- Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I Trauma Center
- Provides back-up care for rural and community hospitals
- Offers continued education to the nursing and allied health personnel and the trauma team
- Has an active outreach program for its referring communities
Community Events and Outreach
Trauma Services at Berkeley Medical Center is dedicated educating the community in trauma prevention. Ongoing initiatives include:
- Stop the Bleed Training
- Prom Promise Activities
- Car seat installation by Certified Child Passenger Safety Seat Technicians