At the WVU Heart and Vascular Institute at Berkeley Medical Center, our board-certified, and fellowship-trained thoracic surgeons treat patients with diseases of the chest (thorax), lungs, and upper gastrointestinal system (esophagus and stomach), using the most advanced equipment and latest surgical techniques including minimally-invasive robotic surgery and video-assisted thoracic surgery to achieve the best possible patient outcomes.
We earned a distinguished three-star (highest) rating from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for esophageal cancer patient care and robotic esophagostomy outcomes. The rating, which denotes the highest category of quality, places the WVU Heart and Vascular Institute among the elite in the United States and Canada for general thoracic surgery. Read full story here.
Treatments and Procedures offered include:
Advanced minimally invasive robotic/laparoscopic surgeries
- Robotic anti-reflux/GERD surgery
- Robotic esophagectomy
- Robotic first rib resection for thoracic outlet syndrome
- Robotic hiatal hernia repair surgery
- Robotic Heller myotomy for achalasia
- Robotic lung preserving/sparing surgery
- Robotic lung cancer surgery
- Robotic thymectomy for myasthenia gravis and other mediastinal tumors
- Robotic tracheobronchoplasty for tracheomalcia
- Surgery for advanced lung cancer
- POEM (peroral endoscopic myotomy)
- Rigid bronchoscopy/cryotherapy/YAG laser/airway diseases
- Surgery for mesothelioma
- Tracheal resection
- Chest wall and pectus surgery
For more information about the Thoracic Surgery program visit our main campus thoracic surgery webpage.
Thoracic Surgery Providers
- Ghulam Abbas, MD, MHCM, FACS
Professor & Chief, Division of Thoracic Surgery
To make an appointment call 304-596-5171.