Preparing for Your Gamma Knife Radiosurgery:
- Shampoo your hair the evening before your appointment. Do not use hair products such as hairspray, styling gel, etc., after shampooing. Also, do not use these products the morning of your procedure.
- Do not wear any makeup on the day of your procedure, as it would interfere with frame placement.
- Take your medications as usual before your procedure, unless otherwise instructed. Bring any medications you take with you to the hospital.
- On the day of your procedure, wear comfortable clothing, including a shirt that buttons up the front. Because metal is not allowed near the scanning equipment, you may not wear anything with metal parts, such as metal buttons or zippers. Sweat pants or pajama pants with a drawstring are good choices as long as they contain no metal parts.
- You may wear dentures, partial plates, hearing aids, contact lenses, and/or glasses to the hospital, but you will be asked to remove them prior to frame placement.
- You may bring books, magazines, videos, etc., to help pass the time during treatment planning, and you may bring CDs or an iPod to listen to during your treatment.
- Have a friend or family member stay with you and be available to drive you home.
If you have any concerns or questions after returning home, call 304-598-4707.