Our sports medicine program is staffed by healthcare professionals specially trained in the care of athletes including board-certified physicians, an athletic trainer, and a nutritionist. Our nonsurgical specialists take care of local sports teams as well as many community recreational athletes. They are also experienced in treating dancers, musicians, gymnasts, and others in the performing arts.
Patients see the physicians in the Sports Medicine unit for a variety of reasons. We help treat and manage conditions and illnesses that can affect performance including:
- Strains and Sprains
- Overuse injuries
- Sports-related concussions (including ImPACT Neuropsych evaluations)
- Exercise-related allergies and asthma
Our services include:
- Joint injections of all types
- Nutritional advice
- Concussion-related balance training
- We are adept at evaluating running injuries. We have the region’s only clinically driven computerized 3-dimensional motion analysis lab, which allows our Sports Medicine professionals to review a runner’s form and expertly assess injuries or performance. Dr. Gaetano Monteleone is a marathon runner and understands the nuances that are instrumental in a runner’s performance.
- We use a musculoskeletal ultrasound to assist in diagnosing sports injuries and problems. The technology also assists clinicians in determining the exact area for injections to help ensure improved outcomes.
- We offer osteoporosis evaluations, including fall prevention evaluations and exercise program recommendations. We also provide medication management, including Prolia injections.
- We collaborate with other divisions within Family Medicine to ensure our patients receive the most complete care.