What is MAKOplasty® Partial Knee Resurfacing?
MAKOplasty is a robotic arm assisted partial knee resurfacing procedure designed to relieve the pain caused by joint degeneration due to osteoarthritis (OA). By selectively targeting the part of your knee damaged by OA, your surgeon can resurface your knee while sparing the healthy bone and ligaments surrounding it.
MAKOplasty Partial Knee Resurfacing can:
- Enable surgeons to precisely resurface only the arthritic portion of the knee
- Preserve healthy tissue and bone
- Facilitate optimal implant positioning to result in a more natural feeling knee following surgery
- Result in a more rapid recovery and shorter hospital stay than traditional total knee replacement surgery
Unlike other more invasive procedures, MAKOplasty can often be performed through a four- to six-inch incision over your knee with small incisions in both your femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin). Additionally, the preservation of your own natural bone and tissue along with more ideal patient specific implant positioning may also result in a more natural feeling knee. And since healthy bone is preserved, patients who undergo MAKOplasty partial knee procedures may still be a candidate for a total knee replacement procedure later in life if necessary.
The MAKOplasty procedure is indicated for patients suffering from unicompartmental or bicompartmental knee disease. A total replacement is sometimes necessary if your surgeon discovers during surgery that your knee has more damage than originally seen in the pre-operative X-rays and CT scan.
Your physician will discuss the specific risks associated with MAKOplasty and other treatment options with you. In addition, you should be informed of any pre-operative and post-operative instructions by your surgeon or his or her staff.
As a knee arthroplasty procedure, MAKOplasty is typically covered by Medicare. Check with your private health insurers. In some cases, it may be performed on an outpatient basis depending on what your surgeon determines is the right course of treatment for you.
- Patient education brochure for MAKOplasty Partial Knee Resurfacing
- Pre-operative guide for MAKOplasty Partial Knee Resurfacing