WVU Hospitals (WVUH) and University Health Associates (UHA) are committed to providing quality care to patients regardless of their ability to pay. In emergencies, treatment will not be delayed because of financial or insurance issues. The hospital acknowledges that there are patients who do not possess the ability to pay for emergent or medically necessary healthcare services. The following guidelines have been established to provide financial assistance to our patients in need.
Who is Eligible for Financial Assistance?
A patient who resides in West Virginia is eligible for 100 percent financial assistance if he/she:
- Has received or is scheduled to receive emergency or medically necessary care
- Has a household income less than twice the federal poverty limit
- Click link to see federal poverty limit guidelines
- Does not have substantial assets
- Has applied for and has been denied Medicaid coverage
- Is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States (foreign students are not eligible)
Patients outside of these guidelines may also be considered on an exception basis.
How Do I Apply for Financial Assistance?
If you feel that you may meet the requirements above, an application may be obtained from the following sources:
- You can click here to download a copy of the application as a PDF.
- You can call or visit the financial counselor’s office at 304-598-6260 between 8 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday
- You can call or visit the Patient Financial Services department at 800-516-5548 between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday
Please complete all sections of the application form and assemble all required documentation prior to submitting your application. If you need help completing your application, please contact or visit our financial counselors by phone at 304-598-6260, or visit our Patient Financial Services office at 3040 University Avenue, Morgantown, WV. The office is open between 8 am and 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
Completed applications can be mailed to:
WVU Hospitals Patient Financial Services
PO Box 8031
Morgantown, WV 26506
Completed applications can also be delivered to the following address Monday through Friday, between 8 am and 4 pm:
Patient Financial Services
3040 University Avenue
What is Covered under Financial Assistance?
All emergency and medically necessary care is covered. Once you are approved, you are covered for six months.
What is not covered under Financial Assistance?
Not all services will be covered under financial assistance. The following services are excluded:
- Elective or cosmetic services
- Routine eye exams for corrective lenses
- Maternity services
- Reproductive services
- Suboxone clinic
- Bone marrow transplant
- Services not considered medically necessary by most insurance companies
- All providers are covered with the exception of the providers listed in the following document. Click to view: Providers Not Covered Under WVU Hospitals’ Financial Assistance Policy
For a complete list of excluded services, please contact a financial counselor at 304-598-6260.
Where can I obtain a copy of your Financial Assistance Policy?
Our full Financial Assistance Policy is available:
- Click this link to download
- Via mail by calling the:
- For pick-up in the admissions area, registration in the Emergency Department of J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital, or the Patient Financial Services office at 3040 University Avenue, Morgantown, WV
What if I do not qualify for financial assistance or cannot meet the guidelines above?
If you are unable to qualify for 100 percent financial assistance, you may still be eligible for discounted care. If you are uninsured, you will be charged 50 percent of billed charges for your hospital services. This discount ensures that you are not charged more than amounts generally billed for patients covered under Medicare or other private health insurers.
For more details, please review our Billing and Collections policy.