Feta & Walnut Pasta Salad
Recipe: Ellie Krieger
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat fusilli or other spiral shaped pasta
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. walnut oil (you can use extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Drain the pasta, rinse it under cold water, and put it in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a dry saute pan toast the walnuts over a medium-high flame until they are fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Set the walnuts aside to cool then chop them coarsely.
- In a large bowl, toss together the chilled pasta, walnuts, feta cheese, onion, and spinach.
- In a small bowl whisk the oil, vinegar, garlic and mustard.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Recipe: The Lucky Penny
- 1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower – should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (crush it even more between your fingers)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crust it even more between you fingers)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- (optional) a few shakes of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- Place a pizza stone in the oven, or baking sheet if you don’t have a pizza stone, and preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a cutting board, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.
- Wash and throughly dry a small head of cauliflower. Cut off the florets, you don’t need much stem. Pulse in a food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get powdery snow like cauliflower. You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower “snow.”
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover, microwave for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool for a bit before attempting the next step.
- Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and wring it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Put the cauliflower into a bowl. Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt), and a dash of red pepper if desired.
- Add egg and combine well.
- Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled parchment paper. Pat it down thoroughly, you want it tightly formed together. Don’t make it too thick or thin, about 1/4″.
- Using a cutting board, slide the parchment paper onto your hot pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 8 – 11 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Add sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings you want – we used fresh mozzerella, tomatoes, and basil. Slide parchment with topped pizza back in the hot oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden.
- Allow pizza to cool for a minute or two before serving.
Frozen Banana Pops
- Peeled large bananas, cut in half as shown
- Greek yogurt, we used vanilla and strawberry
- High cacao chocolate chips, chopped
- Almonds or walnuts, chopped
- Wooden skewers, find in cake decorating section
- Carefully insert wooden skewers into banana halves. Be careful not to split them.
- Spread Greek yogurt of your choice onto banana or dip into melted dark chocolate.
- Sprinkle with chopped chocolate, chopped nuts, or a combination. Be creative!
- Place on baking sheet covered with wax paper, and place in freezer a few hours.
Buttermilk Herb Ranch Dressing
Recipe: Ree Drummond
Serving size: Two Tablespoons
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and ground pepper
- Combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, basil, parsley, chives, oregano, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Chill for a couple of hours before serving.