There’s a lot more you can do with avocados than make guacamole. These days, you can find them in salads, smoothies and even hidden in desserts. Watch the Doctors on Call kitchen segment below to learn all about avocados! You can also find several recipes using avocados below the video.
SOUR POWER POPS – a DOC original!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ripe banana
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Round lime slices, each with a small slit in center
- Popsicle sticks
- 5 oz paper cups
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Divide evenly into paper cups, place a popsicle stick in the center of each and slide a lime slice down stick to sit on surface.
- Top with a piece of foil and freeze overnight.
Yield: Four servings
Baked Avocado Fries
- 2 avocados
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs (we used panko)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit and then slice them vertically into 1-inch wedges.
- Using a spoon, carefully scoop the wedges out of the peel.
- Carefully coat each wedge with the egg, then in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the wedges on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the center rack of the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bread crumbs have turned golden.
- Transfer the wedges to a serving plate and serve them immediately, with dipping sauces or salsas.
Yield: Two to four servings
Lemon-Dill Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.
Avocado Stuffed Eggs
- 6 shelled hard-boiled eggs, halved
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely diced tomato
- Chopped cilantro
- Separate egg yolks from whites and set whites aside.
- Mash egg yolks well, then add avocado and mash together.
- Add remaining ingredients except for garnish.
- Spoon filling into egg whites and top with tomato and cilantro.
Yield: One dozen
More avocado recipes for you to try:
- Avocado Breakfast Pudding
- Golden Quinoa Salad with Radish, Dill & Avocado
- Avocado Mousse
- Grapefruit Guacamole