JOB SUMMARY: A Licensed Practical Nurse of the SCU is a member of the nursing team who is qualified by knowledge and training to carry out nursing procedures under the direction of a physician or registered nurse and provide safe nursing care to the assigned patient.
- Responsible to: The professional nurse on duty.
- Workers supervised: Nursing Assistants.
- Interrelationships: Maintains open communication with the Charge Nurse who designates assignments.
- Education: Graduate of an approved School of Practical Nursing. Currently registered by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Practical Nurses.
- Training & Experience: NAPNES certification for all nurses who participate in medication administering. Completion of Coronary Care Classes within one (1) year of employment. Maintains current CPR card.
- Job Knowledge: Demonstrates competency as appropriate in patient care assessment for each patient population area served: Pediatric, Adolescent, Adult, and Geriatric.
- Knowledge of growth and development
- Understanding of the patient’s needs and scope of treatment.
- Understanding of the dynamics for each patient incorporating biophysical, bio-psychosocial, environmental, self-care, educational, spiritual, cultural, ethical, and discharge planning needs.
- Knowledge of pain management to facilitate patient comfort through a proactive pain control plan.
- Knowledge of the total care of patients, whose disease is not responsive to curative treatment, focusing on the control of pain and other symptoms.