MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – March is National Nutrition Month, and the WVU Medicine Dietetic Internship Program and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics are encouraging everyone to “focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.”
The theme for this year’s National Nutrition Month is “Go Further with Food,” which, according to the Academy, “encourages people to achieve the numerous benefits healthy eating habits offer and find ways to cut back on food waste.”
“Incorporating healthy eating habits doesn't have to seem intimidating. Start with small changes with realistic and achievable goals such as eating one extra serving of vegetables per day,” Danielle Keech, R.D., L.D., WVU Medicine dietitian and National Nutrition Month chairperson for the West Virginia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, said. “Little changes can add up and lead to an overall healthier lifestyle.”
To “Go Further with Food,” the Academy suggests:
- Including a variety of healthful food from all of the food groups on a regular basis
- Considering the foods on hand before buying more at the store
- Buying only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week
- Being mindful of portion sizes
- Continuing to use good food safety practices
- Finding enjoyable activities and engaging in physical activity most days of the week
- Realizing the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a registered dietitian nutritionist, who can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet lifestyle, preferences, and health-related needs
In celebration of National Nutrition Month, dietetic interns from WVU Medicine will host various events throughout the Morgantown area, including:
- Thursday, March 8: Interns Anna Raymond, Paige Wieman, and Paige Winfield will be hosting the Diabetes Education Center free support group from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at St. Mary’s Church Peace Hall. Join the interns for delicious, nutritious, and cost-efficient snack ideas, and taste test “homemade lunchables” and other snack treats.
- Saturday, March 10: Interns Allison White and Raymond will be joining the Morgantown Public Library’s Dr. Seuss Event from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. to read Dr. Seuss books and to share healthy snacks and recipe handouts with visitors.
- Friday, March 16: Intern Matthew Breit will be sharing his nutrition booth at HealthWorks Rehab and Fitness from 8 a.m.-noon. Stop by the “Go Further with Nutrition” booth to learn about nutrition for optimal exercise performance and nutrition to promote longevity and higher quality of life. Visitors to the booth can also sign up for a raffle to win two 30-minute nutrition counseling sessions with a dietitian on staff at HealthWorks. (Disclaimer: Participants must have either a membership at HealthWorks or purchased a guest day pass.)
- Saturday, March 17: Raymond and White will be at the Cheat Area Public Library on from 10-11 a.m. to read children’s books on nutrition and to share healthy snacks and recipe handouts with visitors.
- Monday, March 19: WVU Medicine Registered Dietitian Judy Siebart and Raymond will be hosting the “Go for the Greens” Wellness Program from 5-6 p.m. at the WVU Medicine outpatient clinic at University Town Centre. Attendees will learn how to make a yummy green snack, shop smarter, and add more healthy greens to their diet.
The WVU Medicine Dietetic Internship is a 41-week full-time, comprehensive program with an emphasis in Medical Nutrition Therapy. Each year, up to eight applicants are matched to the program. Interns are provided with more than 1,400 hours of supervised practice experience with training in Clinical, Administrative, and Community Dietetics. The program began in 1983 and is administered by the WVU Medicine Department of Nutrition Services at J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital.
For more information on the Internship Program, visit www.hsc.wvu.edu/dietetic-internship.
For more information on National Nutrition Month, visit www.eatright.org/resource/food/resources/national-nutrition-month/national-nutrition-month.