Dark Chocolate-Blueberry Clusters
Makes about two dozen
- 12 oz. high-cacao semisweet chocolate chips, preferably 70%
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, washed, patted dry and any stems removed
- Melt the chocolate chips over a double boiler, stirring frequently.
- Let the melted chocolate cool a little, and fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the mixture onto wax paper on a cookie sheet. (You could also spoon the mixture into small WAXED paper candy cups in a mini-muffin pan for support.)
- Chill for two hours, and if desired, drizzle with a little white chocolate for garnish. (Place back in the fridge to harden if you do.)
Berry Delicious Smoothie
Serves 1 or 2
This filling smoothie makes a perfect breakfast on its own! It’s packed with antioxidants and fiber from the berries, which have some of the highest antioxidant levels of any fresh fruits. The banana makes the mixture thick like a shake, and the yogurt adds satisfying protein. Ground flaxseed adds more fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids, which is good for your heart!
- 1 small banana
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries mix of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, no sugar added)
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt, fat-free
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup orange juice or milk
- 1 tsp. honey
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, and enjoy immediately.
Powerful Pasta Toppers
Boost the nutritional content of your pasta dinner by adding steamed or lightly sautéed vegetables like:
- Sweet potatoes
Walnuts make a tasty addition, and try some whole wheat pasta! We smashed some peeled garlic cloves that we roasted in olive oil onto some toasted bread for an extra treat. You won’t miss the butter.
Baked Parmesan Tomatoes
Courtesy of EatingWell.com
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place tomatoes cut-side up on a baking sheet.
- Top with Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with oil and bake until the tomatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss sweet potato wedges with oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the wedges out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until browned and tender, turning once, about 20 minutes total.