Our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) has level 1 status, the highest ranking a hospital PICU can receive. This unit provides specialized care to critically ill infants and children of all ages. iIt is composed of 19 beds, one treatment bed, and five stepdown beds and serves patients admitted for complicated medical procedures such as cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, orthopaedics, and serious illnesses.
You may bring one of your child’s favorite toys or blankets to help reduce his or her fears. The staff is sensitive to the emotional needs of children and families in this situation and is available to answer any questions you may have.
Visit times should be arranged with your child’s nurse. Generally, we encourage families to visit during the daytime, but nighttime visits may be allowed in some circumstances. Please call the unit, using the telephone in the nearby waiting room, before entering the unit. While visiting, remain at your child’s bedside so other patients are not disturbed. There may be times when nurses or other staff will ask you to step out of the unit.
- Visiting hours are from 8:30 am to 11 pm, except during shift changes, which are 3 to 4:30 pm and 7 to 8:30 pm.
- Only two people may visit at one time.
- Wash your hands before entering and before leaving the PICU.
- Sibling visits must be arranged with the nurse.
- If you or any visitor has a cold, fever, or other infection, check with the nurse before visiting.
- You may call the unit at 304-598-4328 any time, day or night, to check on your child. Please relay information to family and friends.