At WVU Medicine, we provide advanced care for lung and esophageal cancers. At our Center for Lung and Esophageal Oncology, you receive treatment from an expert team, including:
- Thoracic (lung and esophagus) surgeons
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Respiratory therapists
Your compassionate team works together to give you the care you need. Our cancer care experts treat all lung and esophageal cancers, including:
- Chest wall tumors
- Esophageal cancer
- Mesothelioma (a type of lung cancer)
- Non-small cell lung cancer
- Small cell lung cancer
- Thymoma/mediastinal tumors (cancers in the tissues between the lungs)
We view each patient as individual, treating the whole person, not only the condition. We help you choose the treatments you want and need. We provide comprehensive support so you have access to complete care and resources.
Fast, compassionate cancer care
We know when you have a suspicious test result, you want answers fast. We strive to see new patients within 72 hours to help relieve stress and uncertainty. We work efficiently to design your treatment plan so you know what to expect.
We use the latest diagnostic tools to diagnose your condition and create a personalized plan for your care. These diagnostic tools include:
- Endoscopic bronchial ultrasound – a minimally invasive test where an ultrasound wand is placed into the throat
- Endoscopy – a minimally invasive test using a specialized camera
- Mediastinoscopy – a minimally invasive test to examine the tissues between the lungs
- Navigational bronchoscopy – a minimally invasive test to examine the lungs and airways
- Computed tomography (CT) scans
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
Your cancer team includes multiple specialists who will review your test results together to ensure you receive the right diagnosis and treatment plan. We believe our multidisciplinary approach helps our patients receive the care that is best for their condition and health.
Advanced lung and esophageal cancer treatment
At WVU Medicine, our experts provide innovative treatment for lung and esophageal cancer. From highly targeted stereotactic radiosurgery techniques to robotic surgeries, we bring the latest cancer treatments to the region.
You also have access to advanced clinical trials. In clinical trials, you can receive the latest treatments that are not available at every hospital. These clinical trials give you more treatment options and choices.
Minimally invasive lung and esophagus cancer surgeries
At WVU Medicine, our thoracic surgeons specialize in advanced robotic surgeries with more experience performing robotic surgeries than any other surgeons in the region.
Robotic surgeries use fewer incisions and precise cuts to remove and treat cancer. These surgeries help you have a faster recovery and better quality of life throughout cancer treatment. Robotic surgeries for lung and esophageal cancer include:
- Robotic segmentectomy (lung-preserving surgery)
- Robotic esophagectomy (to remove part of the esophagus)
We also provide advanced laparoscopic surgeries, including:
- Endoscopic mucosal resection for esophageal cancer
- Cyberknife lung cancer surgery to burn away cancer cells
- Cryoablation to freeze cancer cells
We are committed to providing advanced surgeries that help you fight cancer while maintaining a high quality of life during and after treatment.
Comprehensive support for patients with cancer
Throughout your treatment, you can receive care from palliative care physicians. These physicians help you manage your symptoms and side effects. The goal of palliative care is to improve your quality of life while you receive treatment.
After your treatment, you can continue to use WVU Medicine support services. Through our survivorship program, you receive long-term care to help you improve your health and prevent cancer from coming back.
WVU Heart and Vascular Institute, J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital
J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital
J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital